Friday, October 7, 2011

**ring**ring**ring**

It was one of those numbers on the caller ID that wasn't quite right. I figured it was the telemarketers from Wells Far*go calling to irritate me yet again. Three or four calls per week in the early afternoon for almost a month.

(I guess "DO NOT CALL US UNLESS THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH OUR MORTGAGE PAYMENT WHICH THERE HAS NEVER BEEN!" is more difficult to understand than I'd originally thought.)

Anyway, I hit the "talk" button poised for battle and an automated voice says:

"Your child, Monkey Boy, was absent from morning roll call and will require a written excuse to return to school."

Ugh.

This child is no longer even in school in our county. How is it that the new school even HAS our number?

Just another little reminder. They are fewer and farther between but they come at the darndest moments. A matchbox car sucked up by the vacuum from under the bed. A Christmas list stuffed in the very back of a drawer I'm cleaning out. A leotard that's somehow ended up in the drawer with my pajamas. A Nat. Geo. Kids magazine arriving in the mail. An automated call from a school.

Ugh.

Just ugh.