Friday, November 21, 2008

Cross 'em If You've Got 'em

I got an e-mail today letting us know that the county we want to transfer to will take us if our home county will give permission for that to happen. I’m working on a letter to the county director making the formal request and plan to send it out via e-mail or hard copy on Monday. I am currently crossing everything I’ve got that this happens.

And now, a confession. I am a geek.

There is a commercial for overstockdotcom that’s been running for a few weeks. It brings a halt to anything I’m doing each time it runs. It starts with a gentleman going into a restaurant and having his picture taken. A beautiful girl puts the Polaroid of him up on a bulletin board and then turns to the computer and orders a Christmas gift for him. The next scene is of the restaurant, Marcy Jo’s Meal House in Tennessee, with white lights on the eaves and wreaths on the windows as a few people run inside to get out of the cold winter’s night. Inside the restaurant is just as lovely, with lights sparkling, and friends gathered together to open their gifts – each one labeled with a Polaroid of their beautiful smiling faces. The commercial then cuts to a woman and a man, Joey and Rory, sitting in front of a Christmas tree singing a song to their friends called “If Not For You” as he plays the guitar. Their harmony is lovely. Her voice is sweet and true. It gets me every time – makes me sigh and feel warm and nostalgic. And each time it ends, I think “Damn overstockdotcom, you’re good! Perfect nostalgic scene, homey restaurant, friends gathered, beautiful decorations, extraordinary song and voices that wrap around you like a warm blanket. Wouldn’t it be nice if all that was real instead of the creation of some advertising guy in an office somewhere?”

This is where the (first) geeky part comes in.

I went to youtubedotcom to see if the song “If Not For You” is on there. It is – well, the commercial is. Then I googled “Marcy Jo’s Meal House”. It’s a real place. Owned by the woman singing in the commercial, whose name is really Joey. Who is married to the guy harmonizing with her in the song. Whose name really is Rory. He wrote the song. They live two hours from my house, in Columbia Tennessee.

I watched the tape they sent in to a reality show called “Can You Duet?” talking about their lives and their love, their singing and his song writing. At the end, as she’s talking about him, she says, “I’m his singer” and he then the camera cuts to him and he says, “and I’m her song.” And I started to cry. Geek-o-rama. I’m not the only one, though. There is a clip on youtubedotcom of them singing Freebird on “Can You Duet?” Naomi Judd is bawling up a storm too.

Anyway, it’s real – the warmth and beauty and love in the commercial is real, and that, along with those beautiful voices, makes me cry.

My husband is buying me their CD’s and is taking me to Marcy Jo’s for our anniversary in a couple of weeks. That is, if I think I can go in there without immediately bursting into tears.

I hope you love them too.