Friday, April 24, 2009

This is Hard

Just got a call for a placement of a child who is about to be taken into custody. The child has extended family out of state and there is a very slight possibility that they will be able to get here in time to take the child to live with them. Otherwise the child will be in care for at least six months, until Mom can get herself together or until the out-of-state family can complete home studies. It doesn't sound like any possibility for adoption. (Of course, I know that extended family could be inappropriate and Mom could continue to screw up. But there IS family that wants this child - enough to try to figure out how to cross several states in the next few hours to get to the child.)

I called O, and he's speaking to the social worker now to clarify, but I think we're going to have to say "no".

Sounds like a darling child who I'm sure is scared. The "mom" in me wants to take the child in and be as much comfort as I can - to give the child a home for as long as they need it. BUT my head reminds me that we are in this to adopt. We have one room, for one child or two siblings. If we take in this child, we are effectively "off the market" for the possibility of a "forever child" until this story plays itself out.

Ugh - I hate this. I don't want to say no, but I realize that it's the best thing for us, longterm.

I think.

Shit!