Monday, July 26, 2010

Pop Some Popcorn

“I almost hate to call and give you any kind of good news” said my friend who is Chris’ foster mom when she phoned this weekend. She knows better than anyone how quickly our “good news” has turned into “bad news” when it’s come to this situation. If it COULD go wrong, it HAS gone wrong. I reminded her that we now take everything with a grain of salt the size of a Volkswagen, and she proceeded.

There is a court hearing scheduled for this week. Chris’ gua*rdian ad lite*m (Chris’ voice/representative in court) called my friend to get an update on his case from her perspective. In the midst of sharing everything that had been going on the past month, she mentioned us. He seemed really surprised to hear that we were an approved foster AND adoptive family, that we already had a relationship with Chris (and his mom), that Amy wanted us to raise Chris, that she was willing to sign over her rights provided he was placed with us, AND that we very much wanted him. He, of course, had no idea that we even existed.

He asked a lot of questions, and then requested a copy of the letter of introduction I’d sent Chris’ SW a couple of weeks ago - I’d forwarded my friend a copy of the letter too. He said he will be putting that letter with his report which will, in part, be letting the judge know that we want Chris.

I see about 14 different ways this can go badly, but maybe, just maybe this is our shot. At the very least, perhaps DF%CS will have to explain themselves, and why they seemingly want to keep Chris for an in-state couple when we already know him, adore him, and want to be his parents.

So pop some popcorn, put your feet up, and stay tuned. I’m anxious to see how this one plays out.