Monday, February 6, 2012

Sighting

I saw them yesterday.

For the first time since they left.

Just for a moment, as we drove past their church.

On the highway just before noon.

At 65 miles per hour.

They were running through the parking lot.

To their car.

In that way that little kids run.

Flat out.

Racing.

With clothes and hair flying.

Ironically, we'd just been to an early lunch with my parents.

At our favorite restaurant.

Which is also the new foster parents' favorite restaurant.

We went so early so to avoid any possibility of seeing them.

Or more importantly, of them seeing us.

In case foster parents decided that Mexican sounded good after church.

(Not many good places to eat in our/their small town.)

My three-second glimpse told me they were taller.

One's hair was longer.

But still just as beautiful.

It struck like an earthquake.

With no warning.

Shaking everything up just for a minute or so.

It's inevitable I suppose.

Those earthquake moments.

That turn me upside down and make me happy and sad at once.







No comments: