Wednesday, February 29, 2012

One Big Party


Isn't it funny how different things can be from what you'd imagined?

While searching online for things to add to the life books, I visited birthfather's FB page several times to copy and print photos that I thought the kids would like to have someday.

My most recent and final visit was just last week, as I was preparing to finish up the last of the pages. I was jarred by what I saw on his homepage.

He had just "friended" birthmom.

Now, the one and only time I spoke with birthdad, he was very clear that birthmom was Satan incarnate. I guess things have changed.

You know what I did next, of course.

I zipped over to her FB page as fast as my little mouse would carry me.

(I choose to view myself as a modern-day Nancy Drew rather than as a creepy nosy stalker, by the way. Ahem.)

I was surprised to learn that she is still in the area. She's from another part of the country and I figured that her stay in this state would be very temporary once she'd signed her rights to the kids away.

But the thing that surprised me most was a post on her homepage where she talked about how excited she was for an upcoming 3-day trip to the beach and yee-haw, it was just going to be one big party.

I confess, I had to read it a couple of times before it computed.

This is a woman who has walked away from five children.

Five.

She did not one thing to get her two youngest back - just signed them over.

I suppose I always assumed that she was suffering as a result. Like, suffering to the point that she probably couldn't function very well.

Don't get me wrong, that's not what I HOPED for her. I'm clear that she has many serious issues and needs HELP more than she needs my disdain.

But, I guess I always just imagined that she must have been nearly paralyzed with grief.

How could it possibly be any other way?

I was wrong, though.

Because yee-haw, it was going to just be one big party.

I will never ever understand some people.

Never.

And I'm okay with that.

No comments: