Sunday, March 11, 2012

And Still We Wait

We've been approached about two siblings, both very little ones.

There is one stumbling block. (It wouldn't be us if there wasn't a stumbling block.)

One of the kids has what sounds like pretty serious asthma. Knowing what I do about allergies and asthma, I requested that someone speak with the child's physician to confirm that it would be okay for them to be placed in a home with pets.

As it is, our home is pretty asthma-friendly. We have no carpet (only hardwoods) and no curtains, and I keep things pretty well dusted and vacuumed because of my own allergies. But we do still have two part-time indoor kitties and two full-time indoor small dogs and they do have some dander. I won't do anything to put a child's health at risk, no matter how much I'd love to be their parent.

So our caseworker will be checking on that and getting back to us before we'll agree to proceed with anything.

We've also sent a list of questions to the caseworker based on the info we were given. One of them was if we could get a photo of the kids. I mentioned to O that I sort of wished we hadn't requested the picture - that if the asthma was going to be a stumbling block, I'd rather not see how stinkin' cute they are.

Cut to Friday afternoon just before 5pm. We're on our way to dinner and an email from our caseworker pops up on my Black*berry. It's the photo. Except the Black*berry has done something to zap the attachment so not only can't we open the photo, but we can't even forward the email to another email address to open.

Torture.

So I've zipped off a friendly email to our caseworker asking her to resend on Monday.

And still we wait.

But really, when you approach these situations assuming they won't work out, it really makes the wait a lot easier. If only I'd know that four or five years ago, life would have been so much easier.

Oh well, live and learn.

No comments: