Monday, January 18, 2010

My Very Best Shot

Since the adoption worker is supposed to look at our home study tomorrow, I decided to sit down today and spell out just how committed O and I are to educating ourselves to effectively raise a child of another race. I crafted the following e-mail which I sent to our caseworker J.. I requested that if it is appropriate, she please forward it along to the adoption worker.

I feel like I gave it my best shot and if we're rejected, it won't be because we didn't do everything we could. So, here goes . . .


Hi J,

Over the weekend as O and I talked about hopefully being chosen as adoptive parents for Smiley, it occurred to us that since (evil social worker MIA) did our home visits and began our home study, you might not be aware of all we were prepared to do in raising a child of another race, so we wanted to share some of that with you. Hopefully it will give you and the caseworker(s) considering us for Smiley (or any child of a race other than our own) some additional information in helping make their decision.

I went online and quickly looked up the racial make-up of our zip code. 16.1 percent of the population is (Smiley’s race). Because we live in a fairly rural area, we will have to seek out playmates for any child we add to our family. Regardless of our child’s race, it is our intention to seek out programs, playgroups, classes, and hobbies that would expose him or her to a racially diverse group of playmates. That would be a big priority and as a stay-at-home mom, I would have the time to do that.

As I mentioned to you, our child will go to school in (nearby town). It is one of the best school systems in the area. The schools Smiley would attend are:

Blah School (19% Smiley’s race)
Blah Blah School – (17.3% Smiley’s race)
Blah Blah Blah School - (16.9% Smiley’s race)

We don’t currently attend church but once a child is placed in our home, O and I both think it’s important that we attend church together and expose our child to religion as he or she grows up. One major factor in finding a church will be our child’s race. If we are chosen to be Smiley’s parents, we will specifically seek out a church with a good percentage of (Smiley’s race) members in the congregation, and preferably in the (nearby town’s) school district so he can attend church with his schoolmates.

Regardless of the race of the child we adopt, we plan raise him or her in a very racially diverse home. I have compiled a list of children’s books reflecting characters who are Hispanic, African-American, Asian, mixed-race, and who may have various physical challenges. Our purchases will, of course, lean towards the race of the child who is placed with us but there will be a broad mixture in our library, including books about adoption.

Additionally, I have the name of a website that sells craft supplies (paints, crayons, felts) that reflect the skin tones/hair colors of all races, so our child can really SEE himself and his friends in his artwork and crafts.

Our child’s room will, of course, be decorated to reflect his tastes and interests, but we plan to honor his cultural heritage not only in his room but throughout our home with books, art, and photos. We would also attend festivals, learn songs and poems, make foods, and go on trips to learn about and honor his cultural history.

(Personal information deleted)

I could go on, but I hope this gives you an idea of how much we’ve thought about this and how prepared we are to do whatever we can to offer our child every opportunity to be loved, well cared for, and successful in his or her life.

Please let me know if you have any questions!