Monday, August 23, 2010

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?


It’s amazing how just getting away from the house and spending some time with my husband fills up my soul’s depleted reserves.

This weekend we went to a nearby state, visiting a beautiful old (still open) country store and a mill set high on a bluff with water cascading down to the river below. I think it was one of the prettiest mill sites we’ve ever been to. On the way home, we stopped to see the new addition to our college team's football stadium and had a picnic across the street.

When we are off together driving whatever highways and byways we happen to find ourselves on, I am never sad or frustrated about our foster/adoption journey. Ever. In fact, I rarely even think about it during those times. Occasionally one or the other of us might bring up a particular child or situation we are involved with at the time, but for the most part we just enjoy being together. So much.

Something kind of startling has happened to me twice in the past month when we are off on our adventures. Both times I’ve been riding along with O, listening to the radio with nothing in particular on my mind, and the very clear thought has popped into my head:

“There is nothing missing from our lives. Not one thing. I’m so glad it’s just the two of us.”

?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?

Let me tell you, that’s a pretty shocking thought for a girl who has chosen to put her and her husband through hell for 4 years trying to add a child to their family.

Looks like I have some thinking to do, huh???