Thursday, September 23, 2010

Bittersweet

^^^^^^^^ Isn't my pup cute??? ^^^^^^^

Since I last wrote, I’ve had not one but two yard sales. The one at my mom’s house was very successful (to the tune of about $1000), but when we were done, I still had some really nice items left – a lot of brand new kids' clothes and toys. My yard sale rule is that one box of leftovers can come back into the house. The rest goes to the Salvation Army. I just couldn’t send all of that brand new stuff to the SA without at least trying to sell it one more time, so I had another sale at my house last weekend. We only had probably thirty people attend, but I made a bit more money and O and I had a good time. I gave a lot of stuff away. There were two couples come through who had new babies and didn’t appear to have much else. Very shabby clothes and cars that looked like they were held together with bond-o and twine. I gave them armloads of stuff. They seemed baffled as I kept raking things into their arms, but were very appreciative. It felt good to see those things going to homes where they were truly needed. Our neighbor’s daughter has a little boy a couple of years younger than Mark, so I folded a lot of the clothes we’d bought for him into plastic bags, threw in two pairs of shoes and some DVD’s, and sent them to her. A few things I couldn’t part with, though – a couple of shirts Mark wore, and a blue and white outfit I fell in love with and bought for him. Those came back into the house and went directly back into his closet. “His” closet. Isn’t that funny? We still call it “Mark’s room”.

O and I took my mom to brunch on Sunday at her very favorite place – the Cracker Barrel. I think she likes shopping there as much as she enjoys the food. As we were seated, I noticed a family of four at the table directly in front of me. Their little boy had his back to me but from behind, it could have been Mark. Same age, same hair, same build and strangely enough, wearing the same blue and white outfit I’d “rescued” from the donate box the day before. If I was someone who believed in signs, I’d have had a field day with that little situation, let me tell you.

Our caseworker came to meet with us yesterday. I know I’ve said it before, but I really do think she’s great. We had a good long talk and she rekindled our hope that we might, MIGHT be able to adopt Mark. Now, don’t get too excited. We’d thought there might be a 1% chance. I’d say that now there might be a 5% chance. LOTS of things have to happen before that would even be a remote possibility, but our talk was enough to send up spinning – thinking and talking about Mark all afternoon and into the evening. As I told her, we would do just about anything to be able to adopt that little guy.

So it’s pretty much been “All Mark All the Time” around here which has made for a few bittersweet days, but I try to focus on the “sweet” part of the bittersweet, and just keep on hoping.

No comments: