Friday, August 15, 2008

YHGTFBKM - The Sequel


(No this photo has nothing to do with this post, but my camera has a "fireworks" setting. Who knew???)

O called and talked to the director this morning. She says our paperwork is complete but that the holdup is (and has been) the state bureau of investigations portion of our fingerprints. Apparently there is a backlog. Our FBI check came back fine months ago.

I have no idea if she actually investigated this for herself or if she's taking Nicole's word for it, but it doesn't explain my D*C*F*S e-mail buddy C's conversation with Nicole two weeks ago that our home study was incomplete - the one where Nicole was going to "sit down with Mia and her supervisor" and "get the paperwork sent to the state office immediately".

I continue to be baffled by this situation. Why someone can't simply pick up the phone, contact the state worker, and find out what she needs is beyond me. Instead, five months worth of stories are flying fast and furious and none of them fit together to make any kind of sense.

(By the way, part of the holdup may actually be the state bureau of investigation , but I would absolutely bet my life that the rest of our paperwork was never sent down to the state offices. No doubt in my mind.)

I've sent a note to my e-mail buddy C, to see if she can investigate a little further (given that she's the only one I trust). I don't want to get her in trouble, though, and have no interest in putting her in the middle of some sort of "she said" "she said" situation. Unless she can shed anymore light, though, I think at this point I'm stuck. One person says the paperwork is complete. One person says it isn't. Someone's either lying or mistaken, and we suffer as a result.

In any other situation, my inclination would be to arrange a meeting at D*C*F*S and start demanding answers but if we ever ARE approved to adopt, these very people have a lot of input on whether we get a child or not. In fact, unless something changes, MIA is that person. Baaa Haaaaa! So we are walking an incredibly fine, incredibly shitty line.

Oh, and don't forget my favorite part - something I was told several months ago by a D*C*F*S worker . . . WE are not their clients. They do not work for US. The CHILDREN are their clients. They work solely for the CHILDREN.

Must go now. Choking to death on the laughter.