Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Hu*mp Day Update

1. Nothing new from our SW, so we’re assuming our home study still hasn’t been approved. Sigh.

2. For the first few days after asking our SW to sign us up as a foster resource for the county, I jumped every time the phone rang. Happily I’ve stopped that, but I still don’t let calls go to voicemail as often as I used to.

3. We went and picked up the new baby furniture this morning – crib and changing table. Neither one of us is too excited to open the boxes and start reading directions and assembling, but we’ll get it done in the next couple of days.

4. I’m a girl who likes a project. I was thinking about painting a big apple tree on one of the walls of the child’s room, filled with birds and maybe a birdhouse or two. But I can’t paint. Or draw. I’m serious. My art teacher in high school offered to help me transfer out of Intermediate Drawing. So I decided to make a huge wall hanging out of fabric. More specifically, from the fabric remnants of the quilt that I made for the bed in there, so it will match. I’ve done about 100+ leaves in different green shades and patterns, and am now making flowers from red and blue calicoes, and will move on to bright yellow birds with different colored wings. I even bought a wooden birdhouse to cover in fabric and “hang” on the trunk of the tree. Hopefully it will be cute. It’s VERY cute in my head!

5. I had the weirdest thing happen last Wednesday. I ran a bunch of errands and noticed that my right knee was a little bit swollen and tight. It didn’t hurt, though, so I wandered all over Wal*mart and went about my business. When I got home, I sat down at the computer for about ten minutes and put that leg up on one of the printers we have sitting under the desk. That’s how I sit all the time – how I’m sitting now, in fact. Anyway, when I went to get up, I couldn’t. I was in excruciating pain and simply could not walk. After a call to my husband, I half crawled/half hobbled to my bed where I put my leg up for about an hour. The best way I can describe it was a charley horse in my knee. I’ve never heard of anyone having that, but that’s just what it felt like. Anyway, I was about to walk after that hour, limping pretty badly but I was simply glad to be able to make it to the bathroom by myself. The next morning I was just a little bit sore and after that, just fine. Feeling 100% again the past few days. It's hell to get old.

6. I just want to say again how humbled I was to get your comments and e-mails re: us fostering. Your advice and support was and is invaluable and I am so humbled to receive it. So thank you all once again.

7. Spring has definitely sprung 'round these parts. Our forsythia is blooming, our roses are putting out new growth like crazy, and our big dogwood tree is budding out. Should only be a matter of days before the world is a lovely yellowish pollen color.

8. We went to see our niece in her high school pageant last weekend. She was chosen as her grade representative and was also picked as best interview. We’re so proud of her.

9. Started a new way of eating a couple of weeks ago – the same way I ate when I lost a lot of weight (over 100 pounds) several years ago. I’m down about 20 pounds with a l-o-n-g way to go, but at least I’ve taken the first step and have a lot more energy than I did.

10. Tomorrow is the 6th anniversary of the first time O & I ever spoke. In one way it seems like just yesterday. In another I can’t remember what I ever did without him. I’m a very lucky girl.

Happy day everybody!