Saturday, April 26, 2008

Iris


Five years ago today I was standing on the balcony of my apartment watering flowers and straining to hear the sound of footsteps coming up the stairway. I was NER. VOUS. I was waiting on a cute boy who was coming to take me out for our first date. When he walked through my front door, he was holding a beautiful purple iris that he’d picked from his front yard for me – from a bed that his grandmother had planted years before.

Now five years later, I’m married to that cute boy and we have a life more wonderful than I could ever have imagined. He is the best person I have ever known.

We still take care of that iris bed and every year when it blooms, I am reminded of the nervous girl on the balcony and the boy who changed her life.

Thank you baby. I love you.