Monday, April 7, 2008

Not Bad

Being 40? Not bad – not bad at all!

O and I had such a nice trip to the mountains. My actual birthday day was somewhat of a comedy of errors, though.

On the way to Gatlin*burg, I checked our messages and there was one from our contact at the state adoption office. She’d received the scrapbook that I spent $25 to overnight to her. Great, right? Ummm, no. It was too big to fit in the state’s files. (It was a standard 8.5X11 scrapbook. No one ever told me there were size requirements.) She kindly offered to scan a few of the pages, put them with our home study, and return both of our scrapbooks to us. She said they’ll need them when/if we are matched with a child. Can you say big fat waste of time and money?

"It’s okay, shake it off. We are moments away from the enormous Christmas store that I love and dream about." But the stock in the enormous Christmas store in early April? Not so great. They had pretty tulips out front though!





"Let’s go to that other huge gift shop I adore, except wow - it’s closed – for good – apparently a while ago."

"Okay, let’s just get a late lunch at my favorite sandwich place. Except . . . it kind of looks closed. WAIT there are people inside! We’ll MAKE THEM cook food for us!" Crisis averted.

"I know, let’s drive twenty minutes to that other Christmas store . . . that closed five minutes ago."

"Well, let’s just go check into the motel and relax on the balcony for a while before dinner." Except who can relax with swarms of roofers making ungodly noise on top of our building as we settle into the room?

Happily, after a call to the management we got a discounted room and the roofers shut down for the night, so we were left with the sounds of the mountain stream and two quacky ducks in the water just below our balcony.


The rest of the trip was wonderful. We drove through the mountains, took a lot of pictures, ate good food, and yes, managed to do some shopping. Mostly it was just nice to be with my wonderful husband. I do not deserve that man.


Thanks to all of you who sent birthday greetings! I felt very loved!

Now back to real life.