Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Quick as a Flash

We got a call this morning from D**H**R - they were doing a pick-up on two little ones and were looking for what would probably be a long-term placement.

Did we want them?

O and I discussed everything he'd been told about them and about the situation, and we were on board - half excited and half wondering what we were getting ourselves into.

O called the worker to say "yes" and hurried to finish up his work so he could come home and quickly re-construct the crib, which we'd taken down when we thought Mark was moving in.

I ran to Walmar%t for a few things we'd need and wondered if this was my last trip to the store as a child-less (childfree?) woman.

Well, no.

The worker called back and said they didn't do a pick up on the babies.

Strangely enough, I was okay with it. My first thought was, "Then these are not our babies." She reserved the right to call us back when and if something changes with them. I told her we'd appreciate that and thanked her for keeping us in mind.

So that's that, I suppose.

This did solidify someting for us, though. We've been in a self-imposed limbo of sorts, waiting for Amy to follow through on what she told us she'd do - namely tell her SW that she wanted her son Chris placed with us. She's not going to do that - at least as far as I can tell. She truly believes she will be able to keep him. Don't ask me how. Anyway, we'd decided to hold off on pursuing any other placements to give Ashley time to make her choice. We are no longer doing that. If it works out that we are able to adopt and raise Chris, that would be so, so wonderful. But we are back in the "game" and actively looking for other children to love.

We did find out what happened at Mark's court hearing, by the way, and not because the SW called us back. Our favorite worker called and told us that NOTHING happened - that it was continued until later in the summer. Lots of other details that I can't reveal, but that's the jist of it.

So welcome to our world - it crazy and frustrating and exciting and you know what? I'm glad that I'm living it. At the very least, it's rarely boring.