Thursday, June 3, 2010

Time in New England





^ ^ ^ This is how I'm feeling about our current adoption prospects this afternoon. So much has happened – yet nothing has happened. We’re still in holding patterns all over the place.

Every year about this time, O and I start planning our annual fall trip. Two years ago we were kicking around the idea of going to the Oregon Coast. Having lived in Utah for ten+ years, I’d spent many a happy long weekend in Cannon Beach and Depoe Bay and Yachats. I was dying to show it all to O who’d never been.

But I remember being so torn.

Surely, SURELY we’d be getting the call any day that our home study was completed and approved, and we’d soon have a child to love. I hated to book plane tickets and make reservations at my favorite little inns along the coast if we were just going to have to cancel them. Which SURELY we would have to do.

I look back at that poor girl and have to shake my head. So excited. So foolish. I really did think it would just be a matter of weeks before it all worked out for us. We nearly decided not to go on the trip. But we did and it was amazing.

Here we are two years later and it’s time, once again, to start planning our fall getaway.

Yes, we currently have four “irons in the fire” re: adoption. Four of them. Three of those involve what will presumably be make-or-break court dates in the next two months.
Most people in this situation would think, “It’s ridiculous to plan a several-thousand-mile-trip for the fall when surely, SURELY one of these situations is going to pan out for us.” I wish I was still that person – so naïve and hopeful. I miss her.

But we’ve been through the ringer so many times when it comes to all of this. I can’t even count how often we’ve thought our moment had arrived, only to be left nursing broken hearts again.

I don’t want to become a jaded and cynical person. I fight it all the time. But I DO want to be a realist. And the reality is that there is a good possibility that come October 1st, we are going to be as childless as we are at this very moment.

New England here we come.