Monday, June 16, 2008

In the Meantime

One of my first thoughts this morning was, "Is this IT? Will this be the week that our home study is finally approved?"

Who knows?

I can tell you that I'm SERIOUSLY itching to get in touch with Nicole (our SW's supervisor) just to see if she's heard anything. Our main concern, of course, is that if the SW reviewing our paperwork in the state office has any questions, they will be directed to Mia and will go unanswered for weeks upon end. So we'll see. I suspect we'll give it until Thursday or Friday and get in touch with her. We don't want to drive the poor woman crazy!

In the meantime, I've been channeling some of my mothering instincts towards a project. Often when children are first taken into D*C*F*S custody, they arrive at the offices with nothing - no clothes, no toys, no favorite stuffed animals. So I thought that it might be nice to make some quilted "blankies" to give to the youngest kids in hopes that they might offer a little bit of comfort. The kids could keep these quilts and take them wherever they go - back home or to a foster family.

Anyway, I've made several. Others are "in process", but I thought I'd share some photos. As I told the girls from my infertility support group , if you look closely at the stitches, they appear to have been sewed by a drunken quilter, but I have fun putting them together and hope they'll bring some scared kids a little bit of comfort.

So instead of whistling while I work, I guess I'm quilting while I wait.