Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A Bluebird Day

So it's been a somewhat strange 24 hours.

My husband fell off a ladder at work (missed the bottom rung), so yesterday afternoon/evening was spent in the ER waiting to get him x-rayed. Oh, and did I mention that we were there for 3+ hours and that the ER was locked down twice while we were there. No one in - no one out. I was never brave enough to poke my head out of our little curtained cubicle to find out why, though I think one was a severe gun shot wound. But let me tell you, there were so many sneezy, snotty, disease-ridden people in that ER that if we don't get the flu in the next few days, we officially have immune systems of steel.

Happily, O has no broken bones, though he was walking like a 96-year-old man last night. He slept like a baby after I drugged him up with Ad*vil PM (GOOD STUFF) and is feeling much better today.

Anyway, I was laying in bed this morning and O was bustling around getting ready to hop in the shower (or to climb verrrryyyy carefullyyyyy into the shower) when I saw a freakin' COYOTE racing through the field across from our house, clearly after something. Since our cat Barney likes to hang out in the field, I was convinced that he was a goner. I called to O threw on my clothes, jumped in the car and drove over. I found the coyote fighting with a dog about its' size. I couldn't tell if they were fighting over something, or whether they were just after each other.

(By the way, when two dog-like creatures are fighting, honking your car horn, screaming "Hey! Stop it!", and waving your arms as if you are about to take flight does absolutely no good.)

They eventually broke apart and went their separate ways. Neither had Barney in its' mouth, and there was no sign of him in the field where the fight had been. But I spent much of the day going outside and calling him. He came moseying home about an hour ago, little shit. I'm sure he spent the better part of the day curled up napping in the sunshine while I had visions of him being the main course for a coyote.

Also, I've had a bone to pick with my best friend EM for about a week. I'd told her several times that we were meeting with our social worker for the final time last Tuesday, and what a big deal it was for us - that once we cleared that hurdle, we'd officially be okayed to adopt. Do you think I heard from her at all last week? No "good luck" call - no "how did it go?" call. Nothing. I did send out a group e-mail on Monday night to a lot of family and friends giving them the happy news that we were a "go" to be adoptive parents through the state. EM quickly sent back a two line e-mail about how happy she was for us. Still no call either Monday or Tuesday. Today however, she has called not once but TWICE. I haven't spoken with her - I'm not really angry - I'm just kind of "over it" for the moment.

When really good things are happening for me, she tends to withdraw. For example, she had an extremely hard time when I got engaged. (She is mid-40's, divorced 10+ years and very much wants to marry and have a family.) She was my maid of honor but was mostly checked out, even to the point of making arrangements with our mutual girlfriends behind my back to step in for her if she decided to back out of the wedding at the last minute. She actually tried to, three days before ("back pain") but by then I'd had enough and when I tried to replace her, she was suddenly able to come.

I forgave her for that long ago, but would be lying if I said that I'd ever be able to forget. She was the one dark spot during the most blissful time of my life. ANYHOO, I don't know if that same phenomenon is what has kept her MIA - if we're having a repeat of that behavior, or if she simply didn't remember/care. Either way I'm not in the mood to talk to her right now. I'm not one to hold a grudge or let bad feelings go on for any length of time so I'm sure I'll catch up with her in a couple of days, but in the meantime, I'll let my Vo*ice Me*ssaging do the chatting with her.

And now to the title of this post, this wonderful "bluebird day". That's what we Southerners call a day with a perfect blue sky. Seventy degrees, not one cloud, slight breeze, the smell of spring in the air. O & I spent the afternoon outside. He did his favorite thing - changing the oil/filters and sharpening the blades on his lawnmowers. A certain sign that spring is upon us. Lord how that man loves to mow the grass.

I was a bit more lazy - swinging in the hammock, getting lost in a good book, and looking around the yard making plans for this year's landscaping. Here's a peek . . .




View From the Hammock

Barney goes from Hunted to Hunter

 
 The mowers are ready! Let spring begin!