Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Glamorous Life


Ladies,

Please try not to be jealous of my glamorous Valentine’s Day thus far. Let me give you the rundown.

1. Woke up at 3 AM after dreaming that the lab tech at my RE office couldn’t get blood out of my arm and had to stick me in the forehead to get it.

2. Couldn’t go back to sleep.

3. Had 9 AM appointment with nurse practitioner at RE office, including blood draw (thankfully not from forehead) and getting lucky with an ultrasound wand.

4. Felt like a dainty and delicate flower after being told, “You have an enormous uterus for someone who has never had a child.” Ummm, thanks. Can I put that on my resume?

5. Felt like a crappy dainty and delicate flower after being informed that I may not get to start injectables tomorrow because my uterine lining is about 2 times thicker than they’d like. Apparently the pro*metrium didn’t do its’ job very well. Options: a shot to increase bleeding or a D&C. SLIGHT chance we’ll go ahead with the cycle.

Why in the hell can’t I leave a gynecologist’s office just one time without another problem cropping up? (Insert curse word of your choice here. Mine begins with F.)
6. Took my prescriptions for this cycle to the pharmacy owned by the company O works for. I checked weeks ago and our $800+ worth of follis*tim was only going to be a $50 co-pay. Wahoo! Except that they couldn’t get it. They could get any other dosage but the one I needed.

7. Wonderful pharmacy tech spends 30 minutes with my insurance company trying to find out if there is another pharmacy in the area that would accept the insurance. Finds the name of one two hours away, which I am willing to drive to. When she calls them, she finds that they are now owned by my husband’s company, which means that they can’t get the drug either.

8. Call the insurance company to get additional information and expand the search area. I’m willing to drive a looonnnnggg way to save $800. They are unable to search by city or state name. They only search by zip code. How many of you have memorized the zip codes for your surrounding cities and counties? No? Me either!

10. Call the insurance company one final time and am told that they don’t work in conjunction with any other pharmacy. If they don’t have a medication and I have to go somewhere else to get it, I have to pay for all of it with no reimbursement. But they’re “really sorry”. Uh huh, bite me!

11. Call a mail order pharmacy recommended by my doctor and am told that it’s absolutely not too late to place an order for arrival tomorrow, EXCEPT they are having a huge snowstorm and can’t guarantee the meds will be here before Friday.

12. Have a “That’s it! I’ve had it!” moment and drive immediately to Hardees for a bacon and cheese biscuit. So on top of feeling emotionally horrible I then feel physically horrible.

13. Come home to make coconut cream pie for my dad’s birthday, including homemade crust. Forget that I’ve been cooking said crust in a 375 degree oven and pick up scalding hot pie plate. Please insert curse word from above here.

But, things are looking up slightly. I called my pharmacy back and talked to the tech who helped me. I asked her to call her supplier and find out if my dosage of foll*istim is just temporarily out of stock, or if they will no longer have it. Glory be, she called back and the supplier had just received a new shipment but hadn’t updated it in the computer system yet. So, it’s ordered and on its’ way for arrival tomorrow.

I really doubt I’ll need it though.

Now I’m just waiting to see if I need a shot to increase my period (which will mean racing BACK to the pharmacy, picking up the med and taking it to my SIL to give me the shot, all before my dad’s birthday party tonight) or if the doctor wants to do a D&C. (Insert curse word from above really loudly here.)

If I need a D&C, I might want my regular gyn to do it. She specializes in gyn surgery and is a bit closer to home. I also like and trust her whereas I only met with my RE for maybe 30 minutes. What do y’all think?

Shit. Shit shit shit!

On a happier note, my husband got me a beautiful bracelet and the sweetest card for Valentine’s Day, so it hasn’t been all bad.

More to follow, I’m sure. And please, try your hardest not to be jealous. Some of us are just born to live glamorous lives.

UPDATE*** No cycle this month. I'm glad they're not rushing me in for a D&C, though. They'll see how my period does for the rest of the week, recheck the ultrasound on Monday and if it's not a lot better, give me a shot that should make the next period "even bigger, even better". If that doesn't work, she recommends a hysteroscopy and probably a D&C before starting folli*stim. I'm disappointed but not devastated. I'm off to celebrate my daddy's 71st birthday.

Happy Valentine's Day to all!