Thursday, February 8, 2007

The Moment I Knew

One of my earliest memories is of the moment I knew I wanted to be a mommy.

I was 3 1/2 years old and we'd gone to visit my aunt and uncle who'd just had a new baby, my cousin Eric. Put simply, I thought he was SWELL!

I was allowed to look at him but not touch, though I was told that after dinner (Thanksgiving?) I could sit on the sofa and hold him!

Even as a little kid, patience was not my forte and I must have asked a hundred times if I could "hold the baby now". The answer was always the same. "Not until after we eat".

Never in the history of the world has it taken so long to prepare and consume meal. I'm still convinced of that.

But when he was finally in my arms, well, that was all it took. I was awed. I was fascinated. I wasn't quite sure what he WAS, exactly, but I knew he was magical and I wanted one.

I still feel that way.