Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Top Ten Reasons I Decided Not To Freak Out After “Googling” My RE

1. This whole unfortunate sponge-left-in-the-patient-after-surgery thing happened in 1995. I can find no mention of problems before or since.

2. I really want a female RE and the only other one in my area is in the same practice as my doctor (and assisted in that same surgery, by the way).

3. These doctors, in practice for 20+ years, have one of the highest success rates in the country.

4. Their clinic specifically hires a staff of people who (along with both doctors) have firsthand experience with IF. That can’t help but make them more understanding and empathetic.

5. Lots of current/former patients have posted rave “reviews” about my doctor on sites all over the internet.

6. It’s entirely possible that I won’t need surgery, or that if I do, it would be laparoscopic. No messy sponges!

7. Dr. H. has published a huge number of professional papers on various IF-related topics.

8. Though Dr. H. is the “quarterback” of this process, most of my actual visits and procedures will be with the nurse practitioners.

9. I’ve had several people tell me that they had friends/family who saw Dr. H., and had nothing but good things to say about her.

10. I’m thinking that since it cost her $350,000, she’s probably a MUCH better counter now.

And besides, there is always time to freak out about it later!