Thursday, February 15, 2007

Shots & Shots


I decided to go ahead and have the shot designed to bring on “the mother of all periods”. I thought, why wait till Monday, pay for another ultrasound, and then need the shot anyway? Let’s get this party started. The shot (progesterone and oil) is basically a chemical D&C, and I should start bleeding between 2 & 14 days. Once that happens, they’ll check the endometrial layer again and see where we are.

I am a little confused about something, though.

When my gyn decided to put me on Clo*mid in August, she did an ultrasound and my endometrial layer measured 1.6mm. I specifically asked about it because I have a history of hyperplasia (a thickening of the uterine layer caused by very light periods). She said that number was perfectly within normal limits for a woman my age still having a period, and I was fine to start the Clo*mid and make a baby.

My numbers yesterday were 1.6mm in one spot and 2mm in another. Yet they are talking about doing a D&C! I asked the NP about the discrepancy and she said their docs preferred the endometrium to measure between .4mm and .6mm. Well, that’s fine but one doc is saying “Go forth and multiply” and the other is saying, “You may need surgery”. I feel pretty strongly that I’d get a second opinion from the other RE in town before agreeing to a D&C, should it come to that. What do y’all think?

I picked up my folli*stim today, and took the opportunity to show our appreciation to the pharmacy tech who helped me so much yesterday. She went way beyond the call of duty and as a result saved us over $800. A $50 gift card from Dillard’s was the least we could do to thank her. She was so sweet, and told me she just knew that the medicines were going to work and that we were going to have a baby; that she’d be praying for us. I can’t really explain why, but her words meant more to me than anything even the people closest to us have said about our struggle to conceive. I’m not sure why.

The shooting in the mall in Salt Lake City a couple of days ago has shaken me up a bit. I lived in Utah for thirteen years and in SLC for five. Trolley Square was the closest mall to my home and I was there constantly. Today I saw the video taken by a mall employee during the rampage, filming out of his store and into the mall. I heard the shots, saw police race past my very favorite store, Tabula Rasa, and around the corner to exchange fire and ultimately kill the gunman. I don’t even really know what to say about it. I am chilled by it. I am sickened by it. I am saddened for the innocent people killed and injured while simply grabbing a bite of dinner or shopping for Valentine’s Day. I am baffled as to what possibly could have happened to an 18-year-old kid to fill him with such unimaginable hatred.

I know it’s a trite saying but really, what is this world coming to?